PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu Marine Association Awarded Grant to Fight Invasive Species

Wendi
08-06-2013, 12:52 PM
For immediate release: August 6, 2013
For more information: Jim Salscheider, president & CEO, LHMA
(928) 208-2442 (wlmailhtml:{7CDAC9B9-CB76-4661-8B4F-3529FC03B241}mid://00000066/!x-usc:mailto:jims@lhmarineassn.com)jims@lhmarineassn .com (wlmailhtml:{7CDAC9B9-CB76-4661-8B4F-3529FC03B241}mid://00000066/!x-usc:mailto:jims@lhmarineassn.com)
LAKE HAVASU MARINE ASSOCIATION RECEIVES FEDERAL GRANT TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES
“Sticker A Mussel” Campaign Chosen as the Comprehensive Invasive Species Program at Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu City, AZ: Preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species throughout freshwater lakes and rivers of the western United States has become a high priority, especially on the lower Colorado River now infested with a growing population of quagga mussels. In response, the Lake Havasu Marine Association (LHMA), in cooperation with Arizona Game and Fish, developed and initiated a grass-roots plan, “Sticker A Mussel,” to raise awareness and educate boaters on how to prevent contaminating other invasive species-free bodies of water.
The “Sticker A Mussel”campaign, starting its sixth month, has been chosen one of seven proposals awarded funding by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for continuing the fight against quagga mussels. David Britton, Asst. Aquatic Nuisance Species Coordinator, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service said, “The program developed by the LHMA will serve to reduce the number of potentially contaminated boats from moving further into Arizona and California waters, and from crossing state and tribal boundaries. Their efforts to this end are to be commended. The LHMA is one of the first, and select-few, non-government, non-profit entities to be awarded such a grant in the four year history of this program.”
“Our mission is to educate boaters on using the proper protocol of ‘clean, drain and dry’ their boat after every use,” commented Jim Salscheider, LHMA president and CEO. “This is the only way to effectively prevent moving invasive species from one body of water to another. Our “Sticker A Mussel” campaign is a visual reminder to boaters to follow those steps whenever they load their boat back on to the trailer. Because the sticker is placed on the tongue of the trailer in plain view, it also has recognition value at California Agricultural Border Inspection Stations. ‘Stickered’ trailers let inspectors know that boaters have a basic knowledge of the quagga mussel problem and the importance of maintaining a contamination-free boat and trailer.”

The recently awarded grant allows the LHMA to aggressively pursue a number of resources to promote and fully implement the campaign. “We have a specific plan in place to put the $25,500 funding to good use,” said Salscheider. We have already ‘stickered’ over 2,200 boats/trailers thanks to our LHMA volunteers and our 55 community business partners including boat manufacturers, boat dealers, marine repair/service shops, waterfront hotels/restaurants, and launch ramps in just these few months. We’ve also printed and distributed over 25,000 invasive species informational ‘rack cards’ to boaters and have recently launched a wide reaching radio campaign that will deliver over a thousand 30 second messages by mid-September. All of this, supported by a strong Internet/social media outreach and public relations effort, is certain to have a positive impact on boaters and help curtail the spread of quagga mussels which is vital to the future well being of an outstanding recreational boating resource like Lake Havasu.”

The LHMA is actively soliciting additional volunteers to assist in the “Sticker A Mussel” campaign. If you are able to donate a few hours of your time to support this cause, please contact the LHMA, Jim Salscheider, at (928) 208-2442 or email to jims@lhmarineassn.com (wlmailhtml:{7CDAC9B9-CB76-4661-8B4F-3529FC03B241}mid://00000066/!x-usc:mailto:jims@lhmarineassn.com). “It’s the right thing to do.”

Slacker
08-06-2013, 10:35 PM
That's all nice and good. I haven't seen any sticker program or anything related to mussels from the LHMA and I live in Havasu and take out of Windsor ramps 1-5 days a week year round. But will that not change anything, they can try and do whatever but it is just a matter of time when other lakes get infected with mussels, Lake Powell is a perfect example of that. You would have to be living in a cave for not knowing what you need to do to stop spreading the mussel's but a lot of boaters don't really care or are just ignorant as most are with no wake areas. The inspection station east of Needles in I-40 has been closed since June, I haven't gone that way since July and it was all closed up then and I'm sure it still is closed. Sorry just being realistic. I don't put much stock in the US Fish and Wildlife or LHMA. The best thing that LHMA ever did was the trash bags around the Lake. Sorry but to me that is 25 grand down the toilet and another example of what the US Fish and Wildlife should have done years ago instead of giving tickets to boaters for being to loud going thru Topock Gorge.

hpboats83
08-06-2013, 11:29 PM
I agree Slacker, it sounds like $25,500 of "feel good" stickers will be printed with nothing real to solve the problem.

crazyhippy
08-07-2013, 09:04 AM
They tried to sticker the waterski race boats the weekend of the boatshow.

"There is no fucking way that sticker is going on this boat" might have been said... it didn't

GRADS
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Let me tell you that at Lake Tahoe they take this stuff VERY seriously!

Every boat has to go through an intense inspection process before launching that includes running 140 degree water through the engine, drive and ballast tanks if you have them.

If you say the boat is from So Cal or Arizona they break out rubber gloves and lube. ;)

And it cost anywhere from $80-$150.

H2oSki2Fast
08-07-2013, 11:18 AM
They tried to sticker the waterski race boats the weekend of the boatshow.

"There is no fucking way that sticker is going on this boat" might have been said... it didn't

Actually, they wanted the stickers to go on the trailers, but that didn't happen either.

Ziggy
08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
That's all nice and good. I haven't seen any sticker program or anything related to mussels from the LHMA and I live in Havasu and take out of Windsor ramps 1-5 days a week year round. But will that not change anything, they can try and do whatever but it is just a matter of time when other lakes get infected with mussels, Lake Powell is a perfect example of that. You would have to be living in a cave for not knowing what you need to do to stop spreading the mussel's but a lot of boaters don't really care or are just ignorant as most are with no wake areas. The inspection station east of Needles in I-40 has been closed since June, I haven't gone that way since July and it was all closed up then and I'm sure it still is closed. Sorry just being realistic. I don't put much stock in the US Fish and Wildlife or LHMA. The best thing that LHMA ever did was the trash bags around the Lake. Sorry but to me that is 25 grand down the toilet and another example of what the US Fish and Wildlife should have done years ago instead of giving tickets to boaters for being to loud going thru Topock Gorge.

The Marina has signs up all around, "Don't move a Mussel".....but other than that I haven't heard or seen anything else.

RioShock25
08-07-2013, 08:11 PM
They are wasting lots of money. The fight is to keep them out of the State water Project system. Its too late for the Colorado. We are getting them in our treatment plant in Yorba Linda. Here's a pic of a bunch of dead quaggas in one of our ozone contactor chambers.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/uvyhu3e3.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ziggy
08-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Does the water there come from the Colorado or from NorCal?
That's a whole lotta shells, dead or alive?

RioShock25
08-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Does the water there come from the Colorado or from NorCal?
That's a whole lotta shells, dead or alive?

We get our water from both the Colorado and from Nor Cal. However, since quaggas haven't been found in the State Water Project yet, these hitchhikers are coming from Havasu and Lake Mathews.

They are all dead.

Ziggy
08-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Interesting to hear about it from the other end of the pipe. Thanks for sharing that.
Guess some peeps will continue to get free powerwashes at the Ag Checks :)

Slacker
08-11-2013, 08:54 AM
In the Havasu paper this morning they have an article about the grant money for prevention of mussels. They plan to put a staffed wash station in at Windsor and have it operating by Feb. or March of 2014. That should be interesting!
Side note,,,,the inspection station east of Needles has reopened, from what I understand that someone crashed into one of the stations there that took out their computor system causing the shut down earlier this summer.

Slacker
08-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Here is some more concerning the Mussel deal. All boats leaving Windsor must have hull plugs pulled (Toons not included) which is actually a AZ state law, I understand, and no weeds on trailer. Now if we could get the lazy State Park employees to rake out the weeds that are floating in the water at the ramps that would really help. On Friday I had a pile of weeds hung up on the trailer of course I yanked them of which I have always done. This whole thing is a joke they are about 10 years to late! It just amazes me how stupid and lazy the Government really is.

Havasuing
08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Last weekend at Windsor ramp, boats and trailers were being monitored as they left and headed out on to London Bridge Road. Only 23% of the boats exiting had their drain plugs pulled, and 24% of the boats and trailers were observed with some kind of vegetation hanging from them. This percentage is not acceptable to our government overseers. Expect increased 'motivation' on boaters to comply in the weeks ahead.

Slacker
08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Last weekend at Windsor ramp, boats and trailers were being monitored as they left and headed out on to London Bridge Road. Only 23% of the boats exiting had their drain plugs pulled, and 24% of the boats and trailers were observed with some kind of vegetation hanging from them. This percentage is not acceptable to our government overseers. Expect increased 'motivation' on boaters to comply in the weeks ahead.

Our "government overseers" are about 7-10 years to late as I stated before. Their "motivation" is another example to steal money from boaters. Why do we have to pay for a decon stations here? Are there going to be decon stations at the Marina, site six, Havasu Landing, Cattail,,,,,,etc.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the answer to that is no! What a waste of money and resources but than again I don't expect much from "our government overseers"! It's just so pathetic! They can't even maintain the docks probably at Windsor.

Bobby V
08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
They are wasting lots of money. The fight is to keep them out of the State water Project system. Its too late for the Colorado. We are getting them in our treatment plant in Yorba Linda. Here's a pic of a bunch of dead quaggas in one of our ozone contactor chambers.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/uvyhu3e3.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Is this water plant above the Black Gold Golf Course. Its only been open a couple years.

RioShock25
08-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Is this water plant above the Black Gold Golf Course. Its only been open a couple years.

Yes it is. The plant has been online since 1963. However, the giant "new" building has only been around for 2 years or so