PDA

View Full Version : Out of state tuition

Joker
10-25-2012, 07:27 AM
So, I want my daughter to attend ASU or U of A.
If she's a ca resident but I'm a az resident, can she be considered in state or do I need to be paying taxes in az?

HB Vic
10-25-2012, 07:42 AM
If you have az license pay az taxes and are registered to vote in az you might be ok. When our son went to ASU we paid 50% more because we were out of state. It's worth any hassle they might throw in front of you. Good luck.

big warlock
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
I think you are ok if you are a resident. She should be in as well.

jordy
10-25-2012, 10:46 AM
If she's a ca resident but I'm a az resident, can she be considered in state or do I need to be paying taxes in az?

Not sure how you can be an AZ resident and not pay taxes here... I believe that's one of the things they use to determine residency.

Here's the information from ASU's website:

https://students.asu.edu/residency_classification_guidelines

In general, to be classified a resident for tuition purposes, a student must:
•Demonstrate lawful presence as required by Arizona state law.
•Document continuous physical presence in Arizona for at least 12 months prior to the semester of application
•Provide evidence of simultaneous acts of intent to make Arizona the student’s permanent home and severance of all ties to the previous state of residence. Acts occurring less than one year before the last day of registration may not be considered evidence of intent to establish domicile in Arizona.
•Demonstrate the ability to meet all living and educational expenses from self-generated funds under the student’s control for the last two tax years and document that the student has not been claimed as a tax dependent by anyone for the last two years.
•Provide clear and convincing evidence of intent to establish a domicile in Arizona beyond the circumstance of being a student; overcoming the ABOR directed presumption that no emancipated person has established domicile in Arizona while attending any educational institution in Arizona as a full-time student.

There are specific exceptions to the above criteria. A student may also be eligible for resident status if he or she can establish that, on or before the last day of regular registration, he or she satisfies one of the following conditions:
•Dependent of an Arizona Resident—the student and his or her parents are domiciled in Arizona and the parents are entitled to claim the student as a dependent for federal and state tax purposes (physical presence for 12 months is not required).
•Transferred Employee—the student is domiciled in Arizona and is an employee or spouse of an employee transferred to Arizona by his or her company for employment purposes (physical presence for 12 months is not required).
•Spouse of an Arizona Resident—the student is domiciled in Arizona and is the spouse of an Arizona resident that meets the general criteria for residency classification outlined above, e.g. physical presence for 12 months and intent to be an Arizona resident, including financial independence.
•Teacher—the student is an employee of a school district in Arizona and is under contract to teach on a full-time basis, or is employed as a full-time non-certified aide, at a school within that school district. The person remains a non-resident until he or she meets the established criteria for residency, but is eligible to pay resident tuition for only classes required for certification by the State Board of Education to teach in a school district in this state. This exception does not apply to members of the student’s family.
•Military/Active Reserve or Guard—the student is not domiciled in Arizona, but is a member of the US Armed Forces stationed in Arizona pursuant to military orders or is the member’s spouse or dependent child as defined in A.R.S. 43-1001
•Military Stationed Outside Arizona—the student is a member of the US Armed Forces stationed outside of Arizona pursuant to military orders or is the spouse or dependent child as defined in A.R.S. 43-1001, and the person claimed Arizona as the person’s legal residence for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the last date of registration.
•Honorably Discharged Veteran—the student is an honorably discharged veteran of the US Armed Forces and is registered to vote in Arizona and has demonstrated intent to be a resident of Arizona.
•Native American—the student is not domiciled in Arizona, but is a member of a Native American tribe whose reservation lies partially in Arizona and another state and is a resident of that reservation.

Per ABOR policy, in determining classification of students for tuition purposes, any relevant evidence may be considered, including, but not limited to, the following:
1.Objective evidence of continuous presence in Arizona for twelve months.
2.Objective evidence of intent to be an Arizona resident as demonstrated by the absence of ties to the former state of residence and the following: a.Financial independence, including: employment and earnings sources of support, filing of state income tax returns, residence claimed on federal income tax returns of applicant and/or parents, and how and where health and auto insurance policies are maintained.
b.State in which motor vehicle is registered.
c.Date of and state issuing driver's license.
d.Employment history, including assured future permanent employment in Arizona
e.The transfer of major banking services to Arizona
f.Applications for loans, scholarships, grants-in-aid, or other such assistance
g.Date and state in which student is registered to vote
h.Place of prior attendance in educational institutions, including high schools, and any information held by such schools affecting domicile
i.Marital status and work record of registrant and spouse
j.Change in permanent address on all pertinent records
k.State in which registered with Selective Service
l.Military records
m.Ownership of real property
n.All other material of whatever kind or source, which may have a bearing on determining domicile or resident status

p.s. I like your first choice much better!!! ASU!!!

Joker
10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't pay taxes as I have no income there and our business is in CA. You're right, that may be an issue. Thank you for the post.

shintoooo
10-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Maybe you should start filing AZ state income tax.

jordy
10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I think you are ok if you are a resident. She should be in as well.

Don't you have a plane to crash, ahem, I mean fly ER boy? :D

I don't pay taxes as I have no income there and our business is in CA. You're right, that may be an issue. Thank you for the post.

Ahhh.... But if you're paying AZ property taxes that could be your saving grace. I'd have her get an AZ license and register her car her as well.

This little section may be the difference for you:

•Dependent of an Arizona Resident—the student and his or her parents are domiciled in Arizona and the parents are entitled to claim the student as a dependent for federal and state tax purposes (physical presence for 12 months is not required).

When they can charge out of state students 10 times more than in state, they make it much more complicated than that. Worst case, she's out of state for the first year and then can have herself readmitted as an in state student.

Outlaw
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Just tell them you're illegal

jordy
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM

No shit! Then you get free tuition, free health care, don't have to have a license or insurance, and the list goes on and on... Weird how it doesn't work like that when you go to Mexico... hmmm.... :smilies_mit_hut029:

Joker
10-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Hmmmm, might not be a bad idea

GotHalos
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM

LOL.

What does she want to study?

Hmmmm, might not be a bad idea

Joker
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
LOL.

What does she want to study?

Forensics.

Mitch
10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
High school transcripts tell them were your child lived.

pvhca1
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Dealing with this right now Joker. Since our wonderfully run state decided a couple of years ago to end the deal they had with Az, NV and OR where our kids got away with not paying out of state tuition on states that bordered ours. Fucking genius. My son may attend UNLV depending on if we can get strings pulled regarding out of state tuition and also depending on the amount of scholarship money they offer.

vmjtc3
10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
WITH the WUE deal, you pay 50% more than instate tuition but its still a lot cheaper than full out of state tuition.

RVRKID
10-30-2012, 11:05 PM
My niece is going to ASU right now from CA and like Phil said since our great state F'd up the deal I think she said she is paying around $35K a year for everything.

Joker
11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
WITH the WUE deal, you pay 50% more than instate tuition but its still a lot cheaper than full out of state tuition.

What is WUE?

Mitch
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
What is WUE?

My son goes to school in Arizona and is from California ,his tuiton is 50 percent more than a resident of AZ and 50 percent less than students who do not live in the western states.California ,Hawaii,Oregon,Nevada Arizona etc are part of WUE .

Joker
11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
My son goes to school in Arizona and is from California ,his tuiton is 50 percent more than a resident of AZ and 50 percent less than students who do not live in the western states.California ,Hawaii,Oregon,Nevada Arizona etc are part of WUE .

Thank you

Mitch
11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you

Anytime Joker ......

GotHalos
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't go wrong with ASU!