PDA

View Full Version : Fuel delivery

Cigalert
08-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Yesterday running down from Topock halfway between the no wake in topock I was having fuel delivery issues between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. I tried to stab it passing someone and towards the top end of the throttle it took a dump. Didn't die but didn't respond. I throttled back and it held. . I rolled into it slowly and it held. Rolled into it again and it sputtered. Hammered it and it sputtered. Hammered it and it held. Totally confused.

I limped back to the marina and dealt with it today. 115* and a garage too low to work on the boat sucked. 16 bottles of water later I have a new line from the tank to the water/fuel filter. New in-line filter in before the water/fuel filter. New water fuel filter. New carb filter. All lines removed and blown out with a compressor. Carb was a big hosed and would squirt with a throttle input so the carb came off. The whole carb cleaned.

Now, I have good squirt on throttle input. If I fill the water/fuel filter with fuel it will run well for about a minute then slowly sputter out.

Specs, 1990 454 with a bravo 1

My theory, it's the fuel pump and my next step is getting enough beer up in the boat with a drop light start this slut. I need to have everything out when people open tomorrow. Do fuel pumps slowly take a dump? I don't think replacing these things are going to hurt me but with 2 days left I'm trying to save a trip.

Also, a HUGE thanks to WOT Marine for their VIP 24/7 hotline to get me this far.

crazyhippy
08-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Fuel/water filter is still having to be pumped up to the carb. May just be enough air in the fuel lines from the tank to the filter to not quite make the complete connection.
Fill the bowls on the carb as well as the filter, and see if it is enough. Maybe pull the fill line off the carb and back fill to the pump as well.

Cigalert
08-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Buwahahaha...Hole in the diaphragm.

Sent from my hemDROID

rivermobster
08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I was gonna say yes, its possible, but it looks like you found the problem. Good job! :thumbup:

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

Cigalert
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I was gonna say yes, its possible, but it looks like you found the problem. Good job! :thumbup:

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

I haven't found the problem until its replaced and I'm rolling out tomorrow with a motor that runs. But a hole in the main....I'm hoping I'm closer to a resolution.

Sent from my hemDROID

rivermobster
08-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I haven't found the problem until its replaced and I'm rolling out tomorrow with a motor that runs. But a hole in the main....I'm hoping I'm closer to a resolution.

Sent from my hemDROID

GetErDone!

Tapatalk 2.0/HTC One

Cigalert
08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Jackpot.

OK....I physically visited west marine 5 times yesterday since they were pretty much the only place open. No biggie....they're 3 minutes away but they still pretty much suck.

Today, I physically went all over havasu.....Prestige, OCM, Alco, absolute, Al's, lakeland, jacks, auto zone....this pump is officially big foot. They know of it but haven't seen one around or don't stock it. Alas....west marine. One on the shelf. Purring again.

Water time

Sent from my hemDROID

HB Vic
08-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Jackpot.

OK....I physically visited west marine 5 times yesterday since they were pretty much the only place open. No biggie....they're 3 minutes away but they still pretty much suck.

Today, I physically went all over havasu.....Prestige, OCM, Alco, absolute, Al's, lakeland, jacks, auto zone....this pump is officially big foot. They know of it but haven't seen one around or don't stock it. Alas....west marine. One on the shelf. Purring again.

Water time

Sent from my hemDROID

Well I still don't understand what took you so long. LOL have fun!

Cigalert
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Well I still don't understand what took you so long. LOL have fun!

Can't buy beer early enough on Sundays.

Sent from my hemDROID

Ziggy
08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
3rd fuel delivery issue I've seen this month.
MalibuKens fuel pump went out on us while out. Worked one time then quit after the second time we fired up.
Another buddy lost his fuel delivery last week, his turned out to be a lost belt that drives the fuel pump.
good thing they both had VA:action-smiley-035:

2FORCEFULL
08-31-2013, 09:05 AM
3rd fuel delivery issue I've seen this month.
MalibuKens fuel pump went out on us while out. Worked one time then quit after the second time we fired up.
Another buddy lost his fuel delivery last week, his turned out to be a lost belt that drives the fuel pump.
good thing they both had VA:action-smiley-035:

the older fuel systems don't like the new fuel... wonder if adding lucas would prevent premature failure