PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable lubrication question.

riverrunner1984
08-02-2013, 07:34 AM
So as I was working on my boat yesterday, I was turning the steering wheel and it felt a little tight.
I went back to the jet drive and it appears the metal shaft coming out of the hull and connecting to the drive needs to be lubricated. The rod that comes out of the shaft just does not appear to be traveling smoothly.
Hope this makes sense. Not sure of all the terms with my limited knowledge.

Thanks!

HB Vic
08-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that's white moly grease. I could be wrong but I think that's what they use.

WMC
08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Change the cable. If it breaks you're screwed and could crash. I not sure but I think they are pretty cheap to buy. Good luck
So as I was working on my boat yesterday, I was turning the steering wheel and it felt a little tight.
I went back to the jet drive and it appears the metal shaft coming out of the hull and connecting to the drive needs to be lubricated. The rod that comes out of the shaft just does not appear to be traveling smoothly.

Thanks!

riverrunner1984
08-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Change the cable. If it breaks you're screwed and could crash. I not sure but I think they are pretty cheap to buy. Good luck

This is something I will need to look into. I need to have it ready by labor day for Parker lol. If this is not feasible by then, since I am doing everything myself, would the white molly be the way to go?

riverrunner1984
08-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that's white moly grease. I could be wrong but I think that's what they use.

Thank you Sir!

bbckiller01
08-06-2013, 12:12 PM
You can pull the cable out and hang it and spray wd-40 to lube it. Most of the time just greasing the end wont work/ It would be best to replace the cable if its not moving free.

Menace Marine
08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
You can pull the cable out and hang it and spray wd-40 to lube it. Most of the time just greasing the end wont work/ It would be best to replace the cable if its not moving free.

This will work for a bit but wd40 is a solvent not a lube. It will dry up in a short time and often leave the cable as bad or worse. If you are going to pull the cable you might as well replace it. Same labor and you get a new cable that will last for many years. The cables retail for roughly $150 so it isn't a huge investment. Especially for something as critical as steering.

jetboatperformance
08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks!
Primary issue with jets related to steering cables is overtightening/dehydrated /collapsed /misinstalled steertube grommet/bushing/nuts .. as the tiller arm on the jet drive oscillates slightly as a matter of design and function the lack of ability to move a bit (overtightened bushing for example ) can cause the steering shaft at the end of the rack cable to bind or feel sticky .. add to that even the best quality steer cables made on todays market have a usefull life of about two to three years ,despite the fact that they are stainless composite they rust and corrode internally as well , Sad but Back in the day steering cables would last 10+ years easily. Re the "hang from the closeline trick and lube , likely a waste of time , steering systems like other safety and control items should by free to operate as designed and one never wants to gamble on their perfect operation Tom

riverrunner1984
08-07-2013, 01:29 PM
So it sounds like the consensus is to replace the cable. I have had the boat for 9 years and it has not been replaced.
It seems like one things leads to another. Rebuild carb, changed all fuel lines, new batteries, Forward/reverse cable and now steering cable lol....

@jetboatpeformance, I may be calling you for the cable. let me see if I can install the forward/reverse cable parts i just received from you and go from there.

Thanks everyone!