PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and thoughts on different v-drive styles

Shaggy
06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Hiya guys,

I posted this on a different forum and got a couple replies, thought I would post it here and see if I can get any more input.

I'm looking for your opinions and thoughts on different v-drive styles.

Reason:
I'll be getting another ride in the near future, I personally prefer a long deck pure flat rather than some of the others, I've been in all the different styles at one time or another and I do love the ride of a hydro but for some reason the flat just seems to like to like me better.

I would like as many opinions and thoughts as ya'll would like to offer up.

Thinking something with a cockpit big enough to ride 4 adults reasonably for a couple hours at a time but still have enough room for the power plant so I don't have to mount it on the cav plate. My last flat just had 2 seats and while 100% loads of fun I think I would just prefer a little more room in this next one. (Maybe)

Will be used for:
Lake racer / knee board / tubing / cruse rides / general fun in the sun kind of thing.

Power by:
Mild to Wild 396 BBC or Mild 454 BBC unless something else just pops up that I cant live without, like a nice 427 roller (yeahhh right, couldn’t get that lucky if everyday was my birthday!)

Pure Flat

Ski Hydro (We know the term is an oxymoron)

V-Bottom

Runner Bottom

Anyone can join in this discussion.

Thanks.

Shaggy

gkimbel
07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm defiantly not an expert, in fact I'm building my first one of my own. I grew up riding in my dads 76 Sanger flat and we had 4 seats, and it ran close to 100 with a 427. You can go with the back to back seating and not have to move the motor. Here is a pic I kept so when I have mine done there is a pattern12997

The Doctor
07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
All six of my kids learned to ski then skied often behind our Hallett flat. Back to back seats were still limiting for our large family but they learned to take turns. Today, we have a Schiada 21 RC which is headed to Lake Pleasant tomorrow mid-day that holds a few more folks but my kids now have kids so the same problem continues from here to eternity. We also have three other flats but they are less conducive to family skiing.

waterhorse
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I think the best bang per foot is a 21' V-Drive cruiser, Hallett, Schiada, Howard etc.. Performance is nearly unlimited and they retain value fairly well. And not to mention the cool factor.

GotHalos
11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
I think the best bang per foot is a 21' V-Drive cruiser, Hallett, Schiada, Howard etc.. Performance is nearly unlimited and they retain value fairly well. And not to mention the cool factor.

Wecome to hotboat.com waterhorse! :thumbup:

ptc
11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I would go with a 'true-flat', my opinion may be biased but the Sanger Family Ski can be setup pretty nicely with seating for 4 and pull anything you want... all day long and never get bored of it. If you want to take it out and run a 1/4 mile for giggles, or just head out to a beach party with it thats fun too. With a v-drive your skiers will sure learn to 'drag the tow line' alot less..... no neutral.... just fire it up and go baby!!!!