PDA

View Full Version : Need new fuel lines

riverrunner1984
06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
I need to replace both of the fuel lines pictured below. The first come comes from the "T" connecting both tanks and goes to the fuel pump. The second comes from the pump and goes to the Carb.

I am looking for a place in So Cal. I can go and get some made/pick up sooner than later.

Couple questions:

1. Should I replace with braided lines and does it make a difference in performance or are they just for "Looks?"
2. The bottom line is an metal material and looks to be formed to fit my boat, are these easy to make or am I going to have to get them customer made?
3. The rubber line, states "Coast Guard approved" does this make a difference.?
4. Where can I go to get some new ones?

Thanks all,
Brian

WMC
06-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Any boat/marine should be able to help. Steel braided looks better

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Menace Marine
06-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Any boat shop should carry the rubber hose you need. The formed metal line is another story. It can either be ordered based on engine serial number or you might find a hydraulic hose place that has the fittings and can make it for you.
The metal hose should be stainless. Is there anything wrong with the one you have? You could always get the fittings and hose and go with braided or push lock line. No real benefit besides looks but it might be easier than trying to find that hard line.

niceguyeddie
06-13-2013, 08:42 AM
You can never go wrong with braided if you feel like spending 4 to 5 times the cost in hose and fittings.

Rex Marine in San Dimas has all the marine hose. They sell it by the foot. I recently bought some from them.

HB Vic
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
There's a little place in Ontario, that carries all that stuff. Not sure if they can bend the tube and do the fittings, but maybe.

Here you go:

http://www.gandjaircraft.net/

riverrunner1984
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks All!

Any boat shop should carry the rubber hose you need. The formed metal line is another story. It can either be ordered based on engine serial number or you might find a hydraulic hose place that has the fittings and can make it for you.
The metal hose should be stainless. Is there anything wrong with the one you have? You could always get the fittings and hose and go with braided or push lock line. No real benefit besides looks but it might be easier than trying to find that hard line.

I went to a boat shop in Upland and they told me they did not carry the "Coat Guard Approved" fuel line. The only had regular hose line.

Regarding the metal hols, I totally stripped one of the fittings on the end that attaches to the carb. The hose is flared at the end so I cant change just the fitting.

You can never go wrong with braided if you feel like spending 4 to 5 times the cost in hose and fittings.

Rex Marine in San Dimas has all the marine hose. They sell it by the foot. I recently bought some from them.

I will try this place since I need to go get some battery trays while I am at it.

78Southwind
06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
While your at it I would plumb in a fuel water separator kit. I run a sierra fuel water separator filter that I change out every year. You also should change the hose that run from the tanks to the "T" since those probably haven't been changed in a while. Make sure you measure the length of the hose they should both be the same length or you will have one tank that empties sooner than the other.

riverrunner1984
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
While your at it I would plumb in a fuel water separator kit. I run a sierra fuel water separator filter that I change out every year. You also should change the hose that run from the tanks to the "T" since those probably haven't been changed in a while. Make sure you measure the length of the hose they should both be the same length or you will have one tank that empties sooner than the other.

I googled the sierra fuel water separator filter, since I didnt know what it was, and it turns out I have one of those.
I remember taking it off as I thought it was just a fuel filter (bare with me, Im an amateur lol) and planned on replacing it as well. When it took it off, it was quit heave and did have some liquid in it.

Thanks for suggesting replacing the lines from the tanks to the "T". You are probably correct about the age of the hoses. The boat is a 95 and I haven't changed them since I got it in 2005 and I cant imagine they were changed prior to that.

Guess I can plan on spending a good chunk of change on some hoses and fittings lol

78Southwind
06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
If Rex doesn't have the hard line for your carb then you can also check with Dave from http://www.sweetperformance.com/product/index.php he may carry it. I bought some carb fittings from him and it was top noch stuff.

riverrunner1984
06-16-2013, 11:20 AM
So I went and took out all the fuel lines today and this piece was between the tank and the fuel selector switch and there is one for each tank.
What is it and should I replace this piece as well???

Menace Marine
06-16-2013, 01:20 PM
It's an in line fuel filter. You can get it from napa or any other auto parts store. I would replace them.

riverrunner1984
06-16-2013, 02:24 PM
OK great thank you!