PDA

View Full Version : Lifeline Batteries

riverrunner1984
06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Need to purchase 2 new batteries for the boat and have done a bit of research.
I am thinking of purchasing 2 lifeline group 27 AGM batteries.

Wondering of anyone had any experience with them.
They are $260 each. I want to make sure they are a decent product before shelling out $500+ for batteries.

It is the second part number down on the attached sheet.
http://www.advancedpowerproducts.com/marinebatteries.php

Wendi
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
We just bought 2 Optima, not sure how they compare. Probably need a guys opinion on this one. Our last set of Optima's lasted 7 years.

riverrunner1984
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I will check them out. Did you get the blue top ones?
I need something to last me longer than 1.5yrs.

Wendi
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks, I will check them out. Did you get the blue top ones?
I need something to last me longer than 1.5yrs.

Yes they are blue top and last 3-5 years

Bobby V
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I just bought 3 Optima Blue tops. Old ones were about 7 years old.

Menace Marine
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
You guys are the minority. I get more complaints about optimal than any other battery. Odysseys are second. Everyone complains they don't last more than a year and cost a fortune. The only batteries I have been able to sell successfully are interstate. Good price and they last 3-4 years no problem.

Menace Marine
06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
That's not to say optima batteries and other sealed cell batteries are no good. It just means the average customer kills them early than comes back upset. They aren't dummy proof at all

Bobby V
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
You guys are the minority. I get more complaints about optimal than any other battery. Odysseys are second. Everyone complains they don't last more than a year and cost a fortune. The only batteries I have been able to sell successfully are interstate. Good price and they last 3-4 years no problem.

I have heard the optimas have lost some years to them lately. I hope your wrong on the 1 year. I do have tenders hooked up. Hope it helps. Interstates aren't that much cheaper. I have the billet battery holders made for optimas also.

icb1
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Interstat are by far better batteries and they wont break the bank and there good for about 4 years

Menace Marine
06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I have heard the optimas have lost some years to them lately. I hope your wrong on the 1 year. I do have tenders hooked up. Hope it helps. Interstates aren't that much cheaper. I have the billet battery holders made for optimas also.

Tenders will definitely help. Always charge them slow.

ChumpChange
06-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes I find that Lifeline batteries are good batteries. Have never had an issue with them.

3pairs12
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM

I'm on yr 2 of my blue tops and couldn't be happier. 3 yrs on the interstates before that.
Just put a set of interstates in my golf cart hoping for 5 out of those.

Stainless
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Another thumbs up for Optimas, I keep them on a tender when not in use. 4 good years so far

riverrunner1984
06-03-2013, 06:37 PM
I have heard the Optimas require more maintenance. For instance, when I am getting ready to store my boat, would I need to disconnect the batteries and hook them up to a "tender" in order for them to last 3+ years?

Is this process required of most marine batteries?

H2oSki2Fast
06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
I have heard the Optimas require more maintenance. For instance, when I am getting ready to store my boat, would I need to disconnect the batteries and hook them up to a "tender" in order for them to last 3+ years?

Is this process required of most marine batteries?

There is an easy way around that, install a Perco switch, and have the tender wired directly to the batteries. When time to store, turn the batteries off and plug the tender into an outlet.

Menace Marine
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Interstat are by far better batteries and they wont break the bank and there good for about 4 years

Interstates are great but they lack reserve capacity and cca when you get into the large sizes (bigger than grp 27). It becomes an issue for today's efi motors. Mercury requires 1100 cca for their dts race motors now and I'm sure the rest of the efi line isn't far behind.
Die Hard actually has a good affordable battery to fill the new requirements.

Menace Marine
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM
There is an easy way around that, install a Perco switch, and have the tender wired directly to the batteries. When time to store, turn the batteries off and plug the tender into an outlet.

Exactly. Having a charger maintainer installed is a nice clean way to do it as well. Clean install and you just plug it in.

Bobby V
06-04-2013, 10:06 AM

This is how my boat is set up. :thumbsUp:

rschap1
06-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I had some Optimas a few years back.
They did me well and lasted until I sold that boat, 3-4 years.
But I have read so much complaint and trouble when they got sourced south of the boarder, I just have not been able to bring myself to take a chance at their prices again.
Lately I been getting Exide Marines just because they are honestly, the cheapest.
It seem like lead acid batteries have become "all the same" lately.
I used to go for the Die Hards, but have not had any better luck with them in recent years.
Was an Interstate fan for a long time. Even used to hit their warehouse here and got deals on their "blems".
Poor luck with a deep cycle used to run my hydraulic lift and a few rotten garden tractor batteries.
I been going for the low price, so when they crap out I don't mind as much.

Bobby V
06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I had some Optimas a few years back.
They did me well and lasted until I sold that boat, 3-4 years.
But I have read so much complaint and trouble when they got sourced south of the boarder, I just have not been able to bring myself to take a chance at their prices again.
Lately I been getting Exide Marines just because they are honestly, the cheapest.
It seem like lead acid batteries have become "all the same" lately.
I used to go for the Die Hards, but have not had any better luck with them in recent years.
Was an Interstate fan for a long time. Even used to hit their warehouse here and got deals on their "blems".
Poor luck with a deep cycle used to run my hydraulic lift and a few rotten garden tractor batteries.
I been going for the low price, so when they crap out I don't mind as much.

Exide is having their own problems right now. I have a job at the Vernon recycle plant which has been shut down. Hope they pay. :redface:

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/environment/2013/04/24/13431/regulators-close-car-battery-recycler-in-vernon-ci/

bagged97taco
06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Go to your local Costco buy an interstate battery or two if needed. Then return them before the warranty expires. No questions asked and you have new batteries every season.

Wheeler
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Personally, I would buy Exide. I have one of two napa select batteries that is still going strong, the other died 2 years ago. I purchased these batteries April, 2001.

Bobby V
06-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Go to your local Costco buy an interstate battery or two if needed. Then return them before the warranty expires. No questions asked and you have new batteries every season.

I could never do that. If you can't afford a new battery you shouldn't be boating anyway. Bad Karma.

bagged97taco
06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
I could never do that. If you can't afford a new battery you shouldn't be boating anyway. Bad Karma.

Its there return policy. No questions asked. No bad karma in that.

Bobby V
06-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Its there return policy. No questions asked. No bad karma in that.

The intent of Costco return policy is not to trade in batteries when someone thinks they are going bad due to long time use. A bad battery yes. A worn out battery NO.! Who do you think takes the hit on the return..Costco.? No the outside vendor gets hosed. Bad karma yes.

ChumpChange
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Who do you think takes the hit on the return..Costco.? No the outside vendor gets hosed. Bad karma yes.

Bingo! I have customers that won't sell to Costco because of their policy. They can kill their vendors. Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to reason with Taco as he'll just say that part of the business. Oh well.

bagged97taco
06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Bingo! I have customers that won't sell to Costco because of their policy. They can kill their vendors. Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to reason with Taco as he'll just say that part of the business. Oh well.

Not trying to start anything. Just saying thats there policy. I agree if you can't afford a battery you shouldn't be boating. My biesemeyer doesn't even have an engine yet alone a battery. Haha