MMD
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
US probes deaths for links to Monster energy drink

* Monster being sued by family of 14-year old girl who died

* US says probing 5 deaths for links to Monster energy drink

* Monster says unaware of any fatality caused by its drinks

* Shares down more than 14 percent

By Martinne Geller

Oct 22 (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Monday that it was investigating reports of five deaths that may be associated with Monster Beverage Corp's energy drink, and the company's shares fell more than 14 percent.

Monster is also being sued by the family of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two cans of its Monster Energy drink in a 24-hour period.

Monster said it does not believe its drinks are "in any way responsible" for the girl's death.

"Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks," the company said in a statement. It said it intends to vigorously defend itself against the lawsuit.

The family of Anais Fournier filed a lawsuit on Friday against Monster for failing to warn about the product's dangers.

The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court in Riverside, said that after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy on consecutive days Fournier went into cardiac arrest. She died days later on Dec. 23, 2011 from what the lawsuit said was "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" that complicated a heart disorder she already had.

On Monday, FDA spokeswoman Shelly Burgess said the agency had received reports of five deaths and one heart attack that may be associated with the Monster Energy drink from 2009 through June this year.

The FDA said that it investigates any report of injury or death that it receives. The notices to the FDA's adverse events database do not in themselves confirm a risk from a product.

Monster is the leading U.S. energy drink by volume with nearly 39 percent of the U.S. market, but Austria's Red Bull has the highest share by revenue due to its premium price.

In July, New York State's Attorney General issued subpoenas to three energy drink makers -- Monster, PepsiCo and Living Essentials LLC -- seeking information on the companies' marketing and advertising practices.

PepsiCo makes the AMP energy drink and Living Essentials makes 5-Hour Energy.

Monster shares closed down 14.23 percent at $45.73 on the Nasdaq.

The case is Crossland et al v. Monster Beverage Corp, California Superior Court, Riverside County, No. RIC1215551. (Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/22/monster-lawsuit-idUSL1E8LMJPN20121022

MMD
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Sad news for the family but who knows what really did it and maybe her body couldn't handle the ingredients or...maybe she drank too much.

Did she drink 2 24-ounce cans a day on 2 consecutive days or drink 1 24-ounce can a day on 2 consecutive days? I can't tell from the article.

And I'm off to Costco to buy another case. I drink a can a day (don't drink coffee)

CampbellCarl
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
US probes deaths for links to Monster energy drink

* Monster being sued by family of 14-year old girl who died

* US says probing 5 deaths for links to Monster energy drink

* Monster says unaware of any fatality caused by its drinks

* Shares down more than 14 percent

By Martinne Geller

Oct 22 (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Monday that it was investigating reports of five deaths that may be associated with Monster Beverage Corp's energy drink, and the company's shares fell more than 14 percent.

Monster is also being sued by the family of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two cans of its Monster Energy drink in a 24-hour period.

Monster said it does not believe its drinks are "in any way responsible" for the girl's death.

"Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks," the company said in a statement. It said it intends to vigorously defend itself against the lawsuit.

The family of Anais Fournier filed a lawsuit on Friday against Monster for failing to warn about the product's dangers.

The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court in Riverside, said that after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy on consecutive days Fournier went into cardiac arrest. She died days later on Dec. 23, 2011 from what the lawsuit said was "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" that complicated a heart disorder she already had.

On Monday, FDA spokeswoman Shelly Burgess said the agency had received reports of five deaths and one heart attack that may be associated with the Monster Energy drink from 2009 through June this year.

The FDA said that it investigates any report of injury or death that it receives. The notices to the FDA's adverse events database do not in themselves confirm a risk from a product.

Monster is the leading U.S. energy drink by volume with nearly 39 percent of the U.S. market, but Austria's Red Bull has the highest share by revenue due to its premium price.

In July, New York State's Attorney General issued subpoenas to three energy drink makers -- Monster, PepsiCo and Living Essentials LLC -- seeking information on the companies' marketing and advertising practices.

PepsiCo makes the AMP energy drink and Living Essentials makes 5-Hour Energy.

Monster shares closed down 14.23 percent at $45.73 on the Nasdaq.

The case is Crossland et al v. Monster Beverage Corp, California Superior Court, Riverside County, No. RIC1215551. (Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/22/monster-lawsuit-idUSL1E8LMJPN20121022

Pre-existing condition?

CC

SBS933
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
This might start the demise of the energy drink generation.

John
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
very sad. I can't imagine how horrible the girls parents feel. There are some people who just drink coffee and nothing else. Wouldn't have ever thought that one could die from drinking caffeine.

jordy
10-23-2012, 09:50 AM
A lack of parenting/common sense and they found some peckerwood attorney who will search the deep pockets and try to assign blame... unfortunately it will likely be cheaper for Monster to settle than to put up a fight... shit like this makes me glad I didn't go to law school...

I don't drink energy drinks as I don't like the hamster in a wheel with no place to go feeling... and I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that if a little can of Red Bull has that effect on me, 24 oz times 2 for some little girl with a bad ticker can't be a good idea... good thing I don't have kids with common sense like that! :D

niceguyeddie
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
A lack of parenting/common sense and they found some peckerwood attorney who will search the deep pockets and try to assign blame... unfortunately it will likely be cheaper for Monster to settle than to put up a fight... shit like this makes me glad I didn't go to law school...

I don't drink energy drinks as I don't like the hamster in a wheel with no place to go feeling... and I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that if a little can of Red Bull has that effect on me, 24 oz times 2 for some little girl with a bad ticker can't be a good idea... good thing I don't have kids with common sense like that! :D

Agreed!

I don't care how much money they end up with. At the end of the day, the their attorney will still a POS and their child will still be dead.

Sorry to hear about the death of a child, but you can't go around blaming and suing people to try and cover up your own faults and shitty parenting skills.